Nominate Your Local Marine or Freshwater Science Prodigy
The National Ocean Sciences Bowl has been approached by Radical Media, an organization hired by Google to bring premium video content to the web. Radical Media is creating an online series called PRODIGIES that will showcase students involved in special pursuits, and they are looking for the country’s brightest, most talented young people achieving extraordinary things. That’s where NOSB comes into the picture.
PRODIGIES wishes to highlight a student involved in marine- or freshwater-related issues. What better way to identify extraordinary students connected with water-related issues than through our national program on the ocean sciences? The National Ocean Sciences Bowl (NOSB) is looking for nominations of exceptional students whose passion, conviction and exciting water-related work will be of interest to a national audience. We are looking for students who are not only intelligent, but are also particularly passionate about marine and/or freshwater sciences. The students’ talents and activities should excite wonder and admiration. Our hope, in partnering with Radical Media, is to find students that are conducting research, interacting with communities or participating in endeavors well beyond their years.
Each episode within the series will profile one prodigy. The students selected to participate will be featured in short (7-minute) documentary-style video profiles. Radical Media’s style is very story-driven and cinematic, with day-in-the-life portraits of interesting and talented young people doing amazing things in their respective fields. Examples of the type of content Radical Media is working on can be found at youtube.com/thnkrtv.
So… Parents, Friends, Teachers and Coaches, please nominate a student you think is deserving of this special opportunity! The top nominations submitted to NOSB will be shared with Radical Media, who will make the final decision on which one student to follow.
Nominated candidates should be:
• A NOSB participant/alum. S/he must have participated in a regional NOSB competition at least one time prior to nomination.
• An Ocean Steward. S/he is making a difference in his/her community on a project that is related to marine or freshwater.
• In high school. An individual that has recently graduated may be nominated as long as s/he is no older than 20 at time of application submittal.
• Genuinely nice. S/he should show sportsmanship-like behavior during competitions and in daily interactions.
• Smart. S/he should be good student, but a straight “A” average is not necessary for selection.
• Outgoing. S/he will have to be comfortable in front of a camera.
• Well spoken.
• Considering future studies and/or a career in a marine or freshwater science.
HOW TO NOMINATE:
Please complete the NOSB PRODIGIES Application Form HERE. Then submit a recent photo or short video of the student displaying her/his special activity or talent via email to NOSBprodigy@gmail.com.
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 30, 2012